The family of the Kurdish activist Fateh Majidi, who was detained on 26 April, are concerned about his health as they have not received any news on his situation.

Majidi, who suffers from severe heart disease, had gone on a hunger strike several days after his arrest.

A source that spoke to the Kurdistan Human Rights Network (KHRN) said that the activist had only a brief telephone call with his family on the third day of his detention. He had told his family that he was being held in a security detention centre in Baneh.

According to the source, it is suspected that Majidi was hospitalised in a security section of Be’sat Hospital in Sanandaj, Kurdistan province, for three days after being taken from Baneh to Sanandaj.

However, the source expressed concern about the health condition and the exact location of the activist and said: “It is not known if he is being held in the detention centre of the intelligence ministry in Baneh or Sanandaj. Attempts by two volunteer lawyers to find out about his fate have so far been unsuccessful. Fateh Majidi has been on a hunger strike since 9 May, protesting against his continued detention and lack of access to medical care. He has had only a brief telephone call with his family since his arrest and has been denied visits by family and the right to have a lawyer.”

The activist was once taken from a security detention centre in Baneh to Salahuddin Ayoubi Hospital in handcuffs and fetters during this period. He was then returned to the detention centre without the necessary medical treatment.

Majidi uses an artificial cardiac pacemaker and his life depends on it.

Security forces arrested Majidi on 26 April in Baneh, Kurdistan province, along with six other labour and civil rights activists named Nishtiman Rahmati, Parvin Abdollahpour, Hassan Ezzati, Saeid Mohammadi, Omar Soleimani, and Afshin Rahimi.

Majidi is a dismissed teacher and a 64-year-old civil rights and political activist, who has been arrested, imprisoned, and repeatedly summoned in the past.

In 1979, after the Iranian Revolution, he was imprisoned for eight years for supporting the Komala.