During the past few days, Kurdish security forces known as Asayesh detained a Kurdish activist in Penjwein district of Kurdistan. This former Kurdish prisoner, who is also a member of the Kurdistan Human Rights Association (KMMK), was transferred to a detention centre in Sulaymaniyah.

“At 11 a.m. on Monday, July 3, Asayish Forces went to Adnan Rashidi’s house and transferred him to Asayish office under the pretext of a simple questioning. He was then transferred to the detention centre in Sulaymaniyah after four hours of interrogation. So far, there is no information about his status and his relatives are concerned about his fate”, a close friend of the activist told the Kurdistan Human Rights Network.

“The next day, Asayesh forces seized Rashidi’s car in front of his home and his relatives have not been able to obtain any information about ‘the reason for his arrest and where he is kept’ despite making consistent enquiries. This Kurdish activist is suffering from several illnesses due to spending around 8 years in Marivan prison. His family is really concerned about his health”, the above source added.

The photo was taken at the first furlough of the former political prisoner

Adnan Rashidi, Kurdish activist residing in Marivan, was arrested by Security forces in Marivan City in March 2006. He was interrogated and tortured for 4 months in solitary confinement of Intelligence Centres of Marivan and Sanandaj. He was sentenced to 12 years imprisonment and exile to in Izeh Prison by the Marivan Revolutionary Court without access to a lawyer.

In August 2008, the former Kurdish prisoner went on a 50-day hunger strike in protest to the unfair verdict against him. Sanandaj Court of Appeals commutated his punishment to 12 years of imprisonment without exile.

During his time in prison, he has suffered from various illnesses such as intestinal infection and obstruction, diabetes, rheumatism, vision impairment and nervous system disorders. He has been under treatment at various hospitals in Marivan, Sanandaj and Tehran for several times and Finally, in 2015 after receiving a medical furlough, he left the country and claimed asylum in the Kurdistan Region.