Concerns are growing over the situation of the Kurdish rapper and singer Saman Yasin (Seydi) after he was transferred from Evin Prison in Tehran to Rajai Shahr Prison in Karaj, northern Iran, about 10 days ago.

In the past few weeks, Branch 15 of the Islamic Revolutionary Court of Tehran, presided over by Judge Salvati, sentenced Yasin to death on charges of “enmity against god” (moharebeh).

This political prisoner has been denied the right to have a lawyer since his arrest.

Also, the efforts of lawyers appointed by the family to meet with their son and obtain a power of attorney have been unsuccessful.

A source said that judicial authorities have so far refused to speak about the latest status of the case under the pretext of “security reasons” and have only said that the case would be referred to the Supreme Court for appeal.

On 7 December, the rapper’s mother published a video message addressed to the public and human rights organisations, asking for support to annul her son’s death penalty.

In late November, the Kurdistan Human Rights Network (KHRN) learned in an interview with an informed source that Yasin was severely tortured under detention.

The tortures the artist was subjected to include being kept in a very cold place for three successive days, severe beatings and being thrown from a height.

Reportedly, as a result of these tortures, he was forced to make a confession on TV.

On 9 November, Yasin went on a hunger strike for two days in protest against being denied communication with his family and the uncertainty of his situation in Evin Prison.

On the second day of his hunger strike, the Security Prosecutor’s Office based in prison contacted his family and the family managed to visit their son in a cabin.

On 24 November, he managed to meet his family in a cabin for the second time since his detention.

On 29 October, the Islamic Republic of Iran’s state news agencies reported that a court hearing had been held for several arrested protesters, including Saman Yasin.

On the same day, a video of the singer’s forced confessions was released by the state media.

The media said that the Kurdish artist had been charged with “enmity against God” (moharebeh) and “assembly and collusion with the intention of acting against the security of the country”.

The accusation of “enmity against God” (moharebeh) and the publishing of forced confessions obtained from the Kurdish artist as a result of pressure and torture have caused concerns among his family, human rights organisations and public opinion in Kurdistan and Iran regarding his condition.

On 2 October, Yasin was taken to the Prosecutor’s Security Office located in Evin Prison and then transferred to Fashafouyeh Prison [also known as The Greater Tehran Central Penitentiary].

He was transferred to Tehran’s Evin prison after about two weeks of detention in Fashafouyeh Prison.