Three Kurdish political prisoners, Ali Ahmadi Suleiman, Ahmad Tamouei, and Kamal Hassan Ramazan, were transferred back to Orumiyeh Prison after being detained for about a month at the Intelligence Unit of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) on May 03. These three political prisoners are currently being held in the quarantine ward of the prison.

“The three political prisoners were suddenly transferred from Orumiyeh Central Prison to the Orumiyeh Detention Center on April 4. During this time, they were interrogated regarding protests inside the prison after the Coronavirus spread.” An informed source told the Kurdistan Human Rights Network (KHRN).

Ibrahim Issaipour, another Kurdish political prisoner who was transferred out of prison along with three other political prisoners on April 4, has been transferred separately to the Ministry of Intelligence Detention Centre and there is no news on his fate.”, the source added.

According to the source, Ahmad Tamouei and Kamal Hassan Ramazan have been on hunger strike for a week in protest to their illegal transfer to the IRGC’s detention centre. Ali Ahmed Suleiman, another Kurdish political prisoner, has also been on hunger strike for 11 days.

Several ordinary prisoners were also transferred from Orumiyeh Prison to detention centres along with these political prisoners, and security agencies have stated that the reason for these transfers is to prevent any riots and protests at Orumiyeh Central Prison.

Kamal Hassan Ramazan, a Syrian citizen, was arrested by security forces on 28 August 2014 and initially sentenced to seven years in prison for membership in the Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK). However, he was sentenced to death in absentia due to the similarity of his name with another person named “Kamal Sur” three years ago. Saleh Nikbakht, the political prisoner’s lawyer, successfully contested the sentence which was overturned.

Ali Ahmad Suleiman, an Iraqi citizen,  was detained by security forces in November 2005 and initially sentenced to five and a half years in prison for membership in the Kurdistan Free Life Party (PJAK), He was severely interrogated and tortured before being sentenced to death (“retribution”) in a new case regarding the “murder” of two local IRGC agents. After a while, the families of the victims agreed to receive “diyat” (blood money) instead of retribution. Part of the sum required for diyat has now been collected and paid, and Ali Ahmad Suleiman will be released if the remaining amount is provided.

Ahmad Tamouei, a political activist from Salmas, was arrested on October 24, 2007, in the city of Mahabad by the intelligence forces of the IRGC. He was subsequently sentenced to 15 years in prison and exile to Orumiyeh Central Prison.

Ebrahim Issaipour from Sardasht was arrested by security forces in Sardasht on July 9, 2011. The trial of him and Sirvan Nejavi was held without the presence of a lawyer at Branch 1 of the Mahabad Islamic Revolutionary Court, presided over by Judge Javadikia. They were sentenced to death on charges of “Moharebeh” through cooperation with PJAK. However, the Supreme Court reduced the sentence to 11 years in prison in 2015.